My Favorite Calgary Art Gallery Guide
1. Arts on Atlantic - No website? How odd... But OK. Located in historic Inglewood, this gallery is an eclectic mix of paintings, books, jewelry and more. What I love most about this gallery is the friendly, welcoming service.
2. Axis Contemporary Art - My favorite. Hands down. The owner, Rob Mabe is one of the few people I follow on twitter. That's got to mean something.
3. Art Gallery of Calgary - This one is a hit or miss for me. Sometimes the exhibits rock, sometimes they don't. I'm in love with the space. My dream house and studio look something like the inside of this gallery. Read about one of my visits to the AGC here.
4. Dade Art & Design Lab - Also an Inglewood favorite. A mix of fine art and super stylish, swanky furniture. Read about a "live" painting I did for one of their events here.
5. Herringer Kiss Gallery - Love the space. Love the art.
6. Illingworth Kerr Gallery - Located inside the Alberta College of Art & Design. It's fun for me to see the work coming out of Calgary's art college.
7. Leighton Art Centre - This one is actually just outside of Calgary but I had to mention it because I love it so much. Totally worth the drive. I love not just admiring the inside of this historic home, but the grounds are absolutely stunning. Read about my previous visits here and here.
8. Moca Museum of Contemporary Art - The truth is I haven't been here yet since it got it's new name. Read about how hard I tried here. When it used to be the Triangle Arts Gallery I was there a lot. I loved it as the Triangle, I'm sure I'll love it as the MOCA.
9. Newzones - Love the space. Love the art. Especially love the little atrium. You can see pictures of me at Newzones here.
10. Paul Kuhn Gallery - Also one of my favorites. I fell in love with the work of Bruce Pashak here. See pictures of my gallery tour at Paul Kuhn here and here.
11. Trepanier Baer - Although I love this gallery, even I'm a little intimidated to come here. Is it just me? I found it a tad pretentious. Won't stop me from visiting though.
12. Virginia Christopher Fine Art - I come here to learn. To find out who the big players were.
Please keep in mind that if a certain gallery has not made the list, it could be just because I haven't been there. Or maybe it's simply because it didn't super wow me.
This blog was created to share my belief that the art making process can be a vehicle for empowerment.
I am living proof.