Another rockin' student testimonial. And this one actually includes bullet points!
In January 2014 I travelled from Sault Ste. Marie Ontario to Calgary Alberta, to attend Samantha daSilva's Fearless Abstract Painting Workshop.
I had stumbled upon the Chinook Learning Services Continuing Education's on-line advertisement, and then followed through by visiting Samantha's website, where I was struck immediately by her oh-so- refreshing approach to art-making! Samantha's empowering artistic philosophy sounded absolutely liberating, and promised to put both fun and adventure back into one's painting process!
During this exciting two day workshop I was swept up into the shear joy of putting paint to canvas, and came away, not only with two vibrant acrylic paintings, but a whole new perspective on what it is to become a "Fearless Painter"!
"Fearlessness" according to Sam...
1. Painting is about self-exploration, self-expression. It is NOT a team sport!
2. Be your own liberator, artistic decision-maker, evaluator and friend!
3. Set reasonable goals. Stay actively involved, gradually lifting your own bar.
4. Celebrate! Enjoy the entire process!
5. Don't let others disvalue your art, or, conversely, "steal it" from you. YOU must decide its successes, learning curves, challenges and gifts into your own life, and then into the wider world.
6. Stay centred squarely within your own artist self while enjoying others' mutual journeying. Don't pander, squander or prostitute your artistic gifts. Let them be a vehicle for love of self, the world and others....
7. Be willing to share your intention, your process, your self-evaluation, but do not defer to external opinions unless they are personally requested.
8. Then filter all input through your own lens before integrating/changing your process or your product!
Thank you, Sam, for this wonderful learning experience, for being YOU, and for these many precious take-away nuggets... I treasure every one!
This blog was created to share my belief that the art-making process is a catalyst for transformation and personal empowerment. I am living proof.